Library Home

Chaplaincy Training

Chaplaincy Training offers a number of training pathways to chaplaincy ministry.

Chaplaincy is a growing field of ministry in which pastoral care is provided in settings outside the parish church, including in hospitals, schools, prisons, and to emergency services, sporting teams and other institutions and groups.

The availability of Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care services in Victoria is being developed in several of these areas through the availability of some Government funding – allowing opportunities for chaplains to work professionally in some of these areas.

These roles are suitable for both men and women. It should be noted that the majority of positions advertised are often of a part-time nature. Chaplaincy positions generally require qualifications in a combination of fields: Theology, Pastoral Care, Education and Counselling. Generally at least two of these are considered mandatory.

Training pathways to chaplaincy ministries can be facilitated through existing course structures at, with the availability of the following specially focused units:

  • Clinical Pastoral Education (PC436/636)
  • Chaplaincy in Educational Settings (DM414/614)

Health Care Chaplaincy

Program framework

Bachelor Degree, Graduate Diploma, MDiv

Special requirements

2 units (minimum) of Clinical Pastoral Education.

Unit description

An external provider, The Association for Supervised and Clinical Pastoral Education in Victoria (ASACPEV), is a group of hospital based CPE Providers. ASACPEV and Spiritual Health Victoria (the peak association working with the Victorian Government to provide governance frameworks for healthcare Chaplaincy) require two of these units to be completed as part of a basic qualification in healthcare Chaplaincy in Victoria.

A unit of CPE generally involves group work, reflective writing, and a supervised minimum of 100-200 hours face to face ministry in varied hospital settings or an agreed ministry placement.

The units are generally undertaken at CPE centres in a range of larger metropolitan hospitals.

One unit of CPE (PC436/636 Clinical Pastoral Education) can currently be taken for credit through the Australian College of Theology in Degree and Grad Dip/MDiv programs.

Unit enrollment

Interested students will need to contact ASACPEV for information about application procedures for CPE.

Helpful websites


Spiritual Health Victoria

Please check these websites and consult with Mrs Kathy James (PCV/HCCC Chaplaincy & Pastoral Care Co-ordinator) to confirm current requirements for medical chaplaincy.

Educational Chaplaincy

Program framework

Bachelor Degree, Graduate Diploma, MDiv

Special requirements

  • 1 unit (minimum) of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
  • 1 unit of Chaplaincy in Educational Settings (CES)

CES description: The external subject, Chaplaincy in Educational Settings, is sponsored by ACCESS Ministries, and is provided by a consortium of colleges in Victoria. CES can be credited to ACT programs as DM414/614 (Chaplaincy in Educational Settings).

Note: ACCESS Ministries may also require further training to be undertaken. For example, ACCESS currently provides subjects on Adolescent Mental Health and Referral Practices. These cannot currently be credited to an ACT award.

Please check the ACCESS website and consult with Mrs Kathy James (PCV/HCCC Coordinator) to confirm current requirements for educational chaplaincy in Victoria.

Students with a chaplaincy focus should ensure that the award they undertake includes:

  • 2 Biblical units
  • 2 Theology units
  • 1 Evangelism unit (EM324/524)
  • 1 Pastoral Care unit (preferably two: PC402/602 and PC403/603)

Further options and advice

Disaster Relief/Community Chaplaincy

Victorian Emergency Ministries

Sports Chaplaincy

Victorian Sports Chaplaincy

Police Chaplaincy

For those interested in Police Chaplaincy, the Academic Dean can put students in contact with Presbyterian ministers who exercise this ministry. 

Considerable parish experience is required to enter Police Chaplaincy (a minimum of three years).

Defence Force Chaplaincy

Information can be sought from the Defence Force Chaplaincy Committee of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria.

As per Police chaplaincy, considerable parish experience is required (a minimum of three years).

A first point of contact for chaplaincy advice is the Health and Community Chaplaincy Committee of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria. The contact details for the Convenor of this committee are on the PCV website. The HCCC has a Committee Coordinator, Mrs Kathy James, who can be contacted at