The General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Australia requires candidates to be trained at degree standard. Thus, candidates are typically enrolled in one or more of the undergraduate or graduate awards of the Australian College of Theology. Candidates can work towards acombined BTh/BMin or MDiv/GradDipDiv, by undertaking four degree units per semester over four years.
Candidates are under the supervision of the Faculty, and are required to attend daily chapel, and the annual Ministry Conference, MA intensive, Open Day, Commencement Service and Closing Dinner.
Supervised Field Education
*** The Supervised Learning Experience Handbook is available for download:
Handbook of Supervised Learning Experience
The Supervised Field Education (SFE) is the element of training in which students are actively involved in ministry and in reflection on this ministry in congregational and other settings.
- Student: A ministry candidate enrolled at PTC or a student enrolled in an SFE subject.
- SFE Trainer: A person requested by PTC to provided personal training for a student during a ministry placement.
- SFE Co-ordinator: The person responsible for organising the SFE program - at present Nello Barbieri, PCV Training Officer.
- Semester: SFE appointments are usually made from year to year. The year runs from February to November. Semester 1 is from February to June and Semester 2 is from July to November.
The aims of the SFE program are to assist students to develop:
- ministry competencies and skills that are appropriate to their future ministry roles;
- an awareness of issues and dynamics in congregational life and ministry and in the denominational setting;
- and an awareness of the culture and society in which they minister and its impact on ministry.
The goals of SFE relate to ministry formation. The PTC course of training also involves theological formation and spiritual formation. The course is integrated, so SFE will involve aspects of ‘theological formation’ and ‘spiritual formation’, however these are not the primary focus of SFE.
Ordinarily a student is enrolled in SFE over 4 years (8 semesters). During the first two years, SFE involves having a certain number of sermons reviewed and attending college mission. In the latter two years, SFE is much more involved (see below). The major element of SFE in the latter two years is training in a ministry placement with an SFE Trainer.
| ||YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3 ||YEAR 4 |
|Sermon Review ||2 sermons reviewed by faculty||4 sermons reviewed by faculty||6 sermons - 4 reviewed by faculty||6 sermons - 4 reviewed by faculty|
|Parish Placement||Urban Mission ||Rural Mission ||Urban Mission ||Overseas Mission |
|Lectures ||Nil ||Nil ||PC442/642 ||PC443/643 |
|Summer Placement ||Nil ||Nil ||Nil ||Nil |